I have been pushing CF pretty hard (when I see him, which happens to be on weekends primarily at the moment...have you SEEN the freakin' gas prices?!). Anyway. I had a couple of valid points this weekend, I think:
- He should stop waiting for something to happen to/for him, live life, and if something changes then he can deal with it. Background: In November when his roommates moved out and he refused to move in with me, he claimed it was because he did not know when he would finish and get a job. I told him it bothered me that his desire to NOT move was stronger than his desire to live with me and that asking me to move in with him and then spend 3 hours in the car everyday commuting was unrealistic. That was seven months ago (if you tack on the one-month notice they gave him). This weekend, he argued* that at the time he did not think he would still have so much to do to finish grad school. I argued that was exactly my point. He will probably finish in July, at which point we could have been living together, paying one set of bills, cooking meals for each other, falling asleep next to each other every night for 9 months.
- He needs to be realistic with his expectations of life and stop waiting around until he can get everything he wants all at once. He keeps saying he wants to "settle down and have a hobby farm". I do not hear "with you" in that anywhere. This weekend I pointed out that neither of us has any money, so realistically, even when he gets a job, the math does not work out for him to settle down and get a hobby farm right away. Wanting to pay of his credit cards? That seems like a more realistic goal for after he gets a real job.
- Telling me I can have a baby if that is what I want is not a solution to any of my concerns. Period.
I also made sure to tell him that: I DO understand the stress of grad school and wanting to finish and start a job. When I was writing my dissertation, it was a little more exciting because I had a job lined up and knew I was moving here. I want to help him with whatever I can and made sure he will ask if he wants help with the writing. etc.....
*By argue, I do mean 'discuss'.
2 comments:
Someone needs to sit that boy down and have a talk with him about life. Or maybe he'll have to learn things the hard way. People often do.
Spark, I'll pay you. ;-)
Post a Comment