06 June 2012

My "garden"

I started off this spring with a mess of a porch. This is actually after I had picked some stuff up! There is a Christmas tree, a chair from my old neighbor with paint peeling off. Cushions. Bags of potting soil.
Inside the screen-in part, I finally got a table that I was putting together here. There was an ancient air conditioner that I finally sold on Craigslist. (I may be sorry about that, but I think I can get a more energy efficient one now.)


Then I potted some things super early in these great felt pots my parents gave me for my birthday. They are supposed to be good for root growth, because they breath. Who knows! There is cilantro, lettuce seeds you cannot see, a tomato plant and basil plants. (For the record, they were COMPLETELY full of soil when I planted them, and it has all settled down.)
 Then I added some (edible) flowers and a pepper plant and moved the plants outside.
I planted violas (Johnny jump-ups), and those flowers have a very mild sweet flavor. I also planted nasturtium, whose leaves and flowers have a spicy flavor. Adds a little color to a salad!
 Fortuitous shot when I was watering the pots and water got caught in the nasturtium leaf.
I even planted the rest of the cat grass that the cat does not eat. She has sniffed it a couple of times, and I have put some in her food, but she could not care less.
This is my garden just a few minutes ago! My tomato and basil plants are in the top, then a pepper and a viola, then cilantro, lettuce, and a nasturtium, and in the bottom, more nasturtium (and BOY are they growing!), two cucumbers that are finally growing, and violas.
I also had the other post-doc in the lab over and we did some painting of that yellow chair in the top photo and a table that was holding the AC up. At some point when I vacuum the screened in part and have it all set up with the chairs out, I will take another photo.

5 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Nice... me and plants don't really get along. To plants I resemble the Grim Reaper...

Danielle said...

It all looks so nice! I had wondered where your new heading photo came from; how cool that it is one that you took from your nasturtiums! I've had issues with nasturtiums getting really really buggy (small white bugs, the name is escaping me).

Anyway, I love the shot of your salad with the eggs and edible flowers. Very fun!

Sparkling Red said...

What a wonderful porch! I'm green with envy. :-) Your plants look very happy. I have never heard of felt pots, but it sounds like a pretty good idea.

Carolyn said...

Wow, nice job! Also, that droplet picture is awesome!

Lynmittsky said...

looks great! Wish I could garden or even had some greenery to pretend to garden. everything is beautiful.