22 March 2014

Health stuff

It was spring break for me this past week. I front-loaded the fun and non-work activities, and thus have a fair amount of work to do this weekend. I started lots of these over the past few days, so I just need to finish them and move on to more stuff. Bill and I did some touristy stuff last weekend and spent a day on the couch watching movies. It was a good way to get over the cold I got just. before. break. Then we had snow and I cleaned my apartment from top to bottom. I did some yoga. I was on campus. I went to a cool private museum with co-workers. It has been a somewhat productive (but not quite productive enough) and relaxing break.

I have once again randomly chosen a primary care physician after moving for similar reasons as I have chosen in the past: close to work because I go to the doctor less often for being sick than for maintenance, a woman, friendly looking, and takes my insurance. Great way to pick, right? I have only met one of the nurse practitioners so far, and she is great, so I chose wisely. This is the first time a new doctor actually did a pregnancy test before renewing my birth control. It makes perfect sense for a doctor who has never met me to do this, and it made me surprised that this is not the norm.

She also did a full battery of blood work so it will be done for my physical. The good news is that my cholesterol is great, so I can keep eating cheese. On the other hand, apparently I am slightly hypothyroid. I wonder how long this has been true because she was looking not just at the hormones, but also an enzyme that if it is super low indicated hypothyroid and I have not noticed another doctor comment on this before. For the first time since I had my thyroid out seven years ago, my medication is changing. Let's hope this helps with some of my fatigue. I am mostly incapable of rounding up enough energy to do work after 7 p.m. My Mondays and Tuesdays are LONG days, so by Wednesday I am fried even though I get plenty of sleep.

I had not run in over a week until yesterday. Every time I thought to, I decided I did not feel like bundling up to go running when it was in the high 20s in the middle of March. Yesterday it was both daylight and 50 degrees when I got home, so I had no excuse. My legs are a bit tired this morning. I need to start increasing my mileage at some point here...

I have been taking decent care of myself until I had this for breakfast this morning.
Well, I had one full one and a small piece of all of the others.

3 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Yay for doctors catching something before it's to much of an issue. Soooo... you say you have leftover donuts??? Hmmmm.....

Sparkling Red said...

Isn't it always the case that one gets sick when one is supposed to be relaxing? Boo to colds. Yay for good doctors. And double-yay for cheese and donuts.

Lynmittsky said...

first- donuts are in their own food group- crazemazing food group of deliciousness.

second- nice work with choosing a decent physician! I know how rough that can be, my GP is amazing, but so hard to ever get in to see.

third- the warm weather really does make it quite hard to deny your running instincts.

lastly- your vacation sounded perfect, I would have had another day of lounging around and watching tv- RB and I usually have a 48 hour laze-fest, but I suppose one day should really do it ;-)