09 September 2007

3 + 50 = cure

I just got back from that 50 mile walk and boy am I tired! This is my fifth year participating in the walk that raises money for research and support programs for those with a connection to Multiple Sclerosis, a disease my mother was diagnosed with almost 25 years ago. Throughout the weekend, the saying, "3 days, 50 miles, closer to a cure" can be heard - while people are walking, at rest stops along the way, during the evening programs, and the final 1/4 mile walk we all take together down a Main Street, parade style. It is a physically and emotionally exhausting weekend. If I had pictures, I would post a couple, but my memory card was at home, while my camera and extra batteries were with me on the walk.

For anyone who has participated in a walk like this, you know what it feels like to accomplish such a feat. I have now walked 250 miles in an attempt to support my mother and her fight against a disease that has no clear cause and no cure. If you have not participated in a walk like this, I highly recommend choosing a cause that is important to you for whatever reason and participating in a similar event. One-day events are great for raising money and awareness, but over the course of three days, you challenge yourself on so many levels that it can be overwhelming. I am decompressing at home tonight (with wine, Extreme Home Makeover, and laundry), even though I should be calling various boys. :)

For those of you who know me in real life, thank you so much for your support for this event!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Yay! Good job!

I'll have to think about the walking thing.... hmmmm...