My spring cleaning movement is kicking in. It was somewhat prompted by a shopping trip. I got ~$150 worth of shoes (winter boots and some close-toed casuals that I can wear spring/summer) for $50 (I LOVE good deals), so get rid of my fine but old winter boots, I must!
I started with all my clothes, but my dresser. I am getting there with donating clothes I do not wear, but can only let go of a few what-if-I-want-to-wear-it-someday-? clothes at a time.
Now to the recycling.
I have two old cell phones. Memory cleared. Ready to print out donation labels and send in to Cell Phones for Soldiers. All the boxes and packaging? Into my recycling bin. The batteries the group will take as well.
But I found information CDs with the phones (I keep all that crap). Did you know you can send in CDs and DVDs to recycle instead of throwing them out? Here are a couple of options: Free CD Recycling and CD Recycling Center.
Anyone heard of Freecycle? It is a great way to get rid of things like the baskets that come with gift baskets that you will never use. Or a microwave stand that you do not feel like trying to sell. Or stationary and stickers that you no longer use. Or moving boxes. Anything that someone else could use but you no longer are! (I also find that crafts stuff can be used by nieces and nephews if you do not have your own children and craft center at home. Just ask my sister.) I got my cat pan from freecycle and have gotten rid of stuff easily. See if there is a group in your area!
I need to go through my sheets and towels too. If you have a giant stack in your garage already, but old towels that you do not use anymore, call your local animal shelter. My parents were cleaning out theirs and had a giant garbage bag of towels. I showed up at the BIG shelter/animal hospital here with them and they were THRILLED. Perfect for the animal bedding.
There is always Craigslist if you have something you want to sell but not enough for a yard sale.
Alright - this post was really a ploy to not cut my cat's nails. I dread the scratches I will have. Oiy.
4 comments:
I love recycling and decluttering, though I find it hard parting with things. Good job on sending the phones away!
Zoos also love sheets, towels and blankets if you have on nearby!
I love cleaning out stuff - such a good feeling! And you have some really great suggestions for ways to give new life to stuff you no longer want. Very inspiring.
Aurora, I definitely purge in small batches. Particularly when it comes to clothes!
Amy, great idea!
Kalki, thanks - I hate throwing stuff away so it makes it easier to recycle it somehow.
Post a Comment