25 April 2009

So much to do, so little time

Recently I forget there is anything out there on the internet except email and Facebook. I am slowly trickling back to some of my regular blog reads, but mainly as a source of procrastination. I really don't know what one thing to post about right now, so apologize for the rambling. The past two weeks have been packed full of my advisor returning from vacation, me NOT having to be a TA in the fall, me likely being able to start a post doc in September (I am trying to be cautiously optimistic), having two good phone interviews for said post doc positions, turning 30, spending a weekend with family and friends at my parents' house (FUN), getting two birthday flower deliveries (my parents and the boy), sudden high 80s outside that make me miss the snow a bit, the breaking out of my summer clothes, sewing some beanbags for my niece's birthday party (she turned 5 the same day I turned 30), actually keeping up on some local news and my Red Sox, ummmm....I'm sure there was more, like eating, sleeping, hitting the snooze and not going to the gym, sometimes going to the gym, having a cold, trying to keep the momentum up at work, suspecting I actually may have allergies this year, dim sum (yum!)...

And now, laughing at the irony that a man was just interviewed on the news who is traveling in Mexico and out and about because his health care conference was canceled for the day. He said he is wearing a mask but still visiting tourist attractions despite the swine flu outbreak . Maybe they should not have canceled the health care seminars to keep attendees from going out to visit tourist spots?

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Sounds like you found good ways to celebrate it.

There are so many other bits and pieces in your post, I'm not sure where to start.

The post-doc/finishing part sticks out. So, not September, huh? Was that your decision? or was that something that your advisor suggested....?

I think that for me, there were 4 dates (or was it two?) in the school year when you could aim to get your final degree. Is that the way it works for you too?

Sparkling Red said...

Happy 30th year!

This is the second blog post I've read consecutively in which the writer has developed allergy symptoms for the first time this year. What's going on? Is pollen getting more hardcore?

Jenski said...

Danielle, there are three dates, and you can petition for November. So if I defend August/September, the date on my degree would be November.

Spark, super pollen - scary!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!