17 November 2010

Orange

I have been cooking a lot of orange foods recently. I used my buttercup squash to make a soup I mentioned recently, which was tasty. Then I used the hubbard squash to make a pumpkin apple crisp (see comments section for recipe). The squash had a sweet smell when I cut it, so I figured it would make a good substitution for pumpkin. Then I got an email from Real Simple today with a recipe I could not resist. Usually I am not too inspired by their recipes, although they usually are meant to be quickish to prepare which is nice. I am glad I stopped off to pick up some sweet potatoes for this one though!
The best part of the sweet potato recipe? I did not have to cut and peel a squash. Those winter squashes are HARD to process. They made my hand and wrist hurt (maybe I should start going to the gym again?), and I am pretty sure that my peeler and one of my knives are duller for all of the work.

3 comments:

Jenski said...

The recipe for pumpkin apple crisp
(I have no idea where I got it from)
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c bisquick
1/2 c ginger snap crumbs
1/2 t each cinnamon & nutmeg
1/4 c butter
4 c thinly sliced pumpkin
1/2 c raisins
1 large apple cubed

Mix the brown sugar through the butter. In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin, raisins, apple and 1/3 c dry mix. Put pumpkin mixture in a pan, top with the rest of the dry mix and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious, similar to this i made but not mashed...
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mashed-Sweet-Potatoes-with-Brown-Sugar-and-Pecans-15683

Jenski said...

I remember you mentioning that recipe. Will have to try it!