I don't know how well I fit into a two-party political mold. My guess is that few people do.
81. I support women's rights.
82. I support gay rights.
83. I believe in social safety nets to help people.
84. I do not believe a social safety net equals a free ride in life. You should not get public assistance if you are not helping yourself to earn money, be healthy, or otherwise contribute to society.
85. I love how diverse this country is and how non-U.S. citizens still want to be here even though many of us citizens think it is so awful. I do think you should be able to communicate in English to get a Green Card or citizenship. Especially citizenship.
86. I would probably be considered somewhat fiscally conservative, but see #83 above. I do think that paying taxes is crucial to the country's well-being. Also, I still don't understand quite the rationale behind tax breaks = increased jobs. Anyone have a good explanation?
87. I think our troops and the sacrifices they and their families make are incredible. We owe them a lot.
88. I think a lot about what I can do personally to make where I live better - plant flowers? do something for the schools? conserve energy and water?
89. I have no problem requiring people to have health insurance. My understanding is that one problem with the health care system is uninsured people being treated in ERs and hospitals trying to recover those costs, for example. In fact, if you are on unemployment, you should automatically be enrolled in an insurance plan that is deducted from your unemployment check. That is how it works when you have a job!
90. I do not understand how it is legal for new political leaders to finagle ways to break union contracts. I have a lot of issues with my perception of how unions actually run (not the early intents of why unions happened). But, dude. Aren't contracts legally binding? If not, what's the point of having contracts?!
Hmmmm...maybe it is not so difficult to sorta pigeon-hole me into a political category. However, many of my liberal leanings come with a strong dose of people-should-be-good-people or how-do-we-make-sure-people-don't-take-advantage-of-our-system.
3 comments:
Totally agree...
Me too. Politics is also too polarized in Canada. The Liberals are supposed to provide some middle ground, but at this point it just seems like they don't stand for anything.
Spark, seems like they also don't get that they have to compromise to get anywhere!
Post a Comment