27 February 2011

Heart healthy

According to the calendar my health insurance company sent me, February was heart health month. Oatmeal is a great breakfast to help lower cholesterol, and even though the following recipe has eggs in it, they are not really as evil as they have been made out to be historically. Anyway. I got this recipe from a local spice company's monthly email, and I recommend it. I already changed it to include what I changed when I cooked it. :-)

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat together:
  • 2/3 c sugar
  • 1/3 c applesauce
  • 1/3 c light olive oil (light in color and flavor, not in oil, and meant for baking)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 c milk
Add in:
  • 2 1/2 t of the companies pumpkin pie spice mix; OR ~ 1 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t ground ginger, 1/2 t nutmeg, 1/2 t allspice
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1 t sea salt
Mix in:
  • 2 1/2 c old fashioned oatmeal
  • 2 med apples, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/4 c raisins/dried cranberries
Bake in a greased 9x13 or 2 8x8 pans for 20 - 30 minutes until center is firm and the dish is set.
This morning I reheated some and put on a couple dollops of yogurt.

March is diabetes awareness and colon cancer awareness month, it seems. My first thought was that I should make my goal to get my Dad to face up to his health problems? But on second thought, I probably shouldn't for fear he will disown me and dump on my Mom about how uncaring and not understanding I am.

No comments: