17 December 2007

100 things: 31-40, Holidays

A couple of blogs I have frequented in the past few days (such as here and here, thanks to here, in case you need some reading) have an 8 Random Things meme. I was inspired to do the next set of 100 things, and it is the holiday season. The 'we' refers to various combinations of family members.

31. The Christmas CD I have listened to over and over and over again this year is Sarah McLaughlin's Wintersong. It has a lot of classics, a few new songs, and I like her voice.

32. When we moved to VT, the house's previous owners had planted about 20 Christmas trees in the backyard. After a couple of years, they were big enough that we would walk out in the backyard, pick one out, cut it down, and have it in water within 30 minutes. Talk about a fresh Christmas tree!

33. Growing up, my Mom always made homemade pizza the day we decorated the tree. The crust would rise while we decorated, all the toppings would be laid out, we'd top the pizzas, then we would get to eat in the living room and look at the tree.

34. For many years we had a routine during this holiday season. Thanksgiving was at our house and my Mom's parents (and grandmother for a long time) came. Christmas Eve my Dad's mom and her sister would come up, Christmas morning was quiet, and then the onslaught of relatives started around noon (in a good way). New Year's Eve, my parents would take us out to a nice dinner.

35. My sister and I got a new music box every year. It is the only present I remember being from my parents, and not Santa. When we turned 18, we got the last one and it was a Father Christmas.

36. My parents had their first date, dance, and kiss on New Year's Eve. They always got a little sappy and we pretended to be disgusted.

37. The first year my parents told us we could stay up until Midnight on New Year's, I totally fell asleep in a chair and they had to wake me up for the apple to drop.

38. On New Year's Eve, my family always played the new games we got at Christmas.

39. Even though my sister has been married for nearly 10 years, I was the first child in my family to miss a Christmas when I lived in China. Luckily, I got to spend it with two college friends (KHC & Molly).

40. In high school, I played in the bell choir and recorder ensemble at my church. The recorder ensemble had soprano, alto, tenor and bass recorders and played at a tree farm before Christmas. If the only recorder experience you have is from elementary school, you are really missing out. The sound of all those recorders was amazing (if I do say so myself).

3 comments:

Danielle said...

It is fun to hear about your holiday traditions. The pizza one is really interesting to me. My mom makes really good homemade pizza.

I also really like music boxes. What a great gift. And nice that it was from your parents and not Santa.

I've never heard recorders really. Maybe as an elementary school child, but I don't even remember it. Is that a New England thing? Or is that just something that your school happened to do?

Anonymous said...

We'll have to check out Wintersong. We also like Sarah McLaughlin, and we're looking for another holiday CD (our favorite, and only, is the Canadian Brass Ensemble).

Jenski said...

Danielle, I think pizza was just relatively low-key so it made for a nice tradition. Recorders are just those plastic woodwind instruments you blow in in front of you and have holes you cover up. The notes are played a lot like the flute, so it was easy for me to pick up the recorder. The sound is what I always imagine Greensleeves should sound like...not that that description helps you any. :) It is actually hollow and a little eerie.

Kalki, if you get it, I hope you like it. I just listened to it again for about the fifth time today.