03 December 2007

The Christmas Tree Saga

I pulled in to the driveway yesterday, and my roommate ("R", for roommate, from now on) was still at work. I wanted to run some errands, but I had a tree sticking out of my trunk. Being the stubborn/determined person I am, I decided I would get the tree in to the apartment, in water, run my errands, and my roommate and I could fix the tree when we were both home. As you can see, it was not very straight when I left for errands,. After wiggling it in the stand, I decided it would not tip over while I was gone.

R and I straightened the tree out as much as we could in the cheap-a** stand I got at the grocery store, bent that very top point over to stick the angel on, and put the lights on.

We even got most of the ornaments on the tree by the time R's boyfriend came over. We had accepted that the tree was a little crooked. We had even used some cardboard to help give one bottom branch more support to hold the tree a little straighter. Well, R's boyfriend is a boy, and so by default, can not let a tree be crooked. He used some wood to try to hold the tree straight, but it was no better, and maybe even worse than R and I had been able to do. Apparently the plastic of the stand was actually bending even though the tree was well within the specs of the stand.

R reminded me that I had a metal tree stand in the basement. I had totally forgotten that I had this stand. We all came to the conclusion that it would be worth it to try to switch stands. It certainly could not be any more crooked! Off came the angel and the most breakable and heavy ornaments. R and I loosened all the screws, R's boyfriend lifted the tree out of the stand, and R and I set up the nice, sturdy, older, metal stand. You can see how the picture above has a green stand and this one has a red stand. Plus the tree looks a little straighter. :)

All of the ornaments and Victorian tinsel went back on. Now we have a nice, straight, decorated Christmas tree.

The lights are on a timer, and you can see our house when you turn on to the street. Every time I get home, I can see the lights in the window and it makes me smile.

I am totally returning the cheap-a** stand.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Yay for Christmas trees!

I think your post right here epitomizes why I'm so hesitant to buy a real tree....

... I'm not sure I'd have the patience, skill, or strength to get it into the stand the right way.

I understand about the lights making you happy when you come home though. Mine do the same for me. I love walking in the door and seeing all of the lights. :-)

Danielle said...

BTW, I forgot to say - I like the green and red of your blog design! Very Christmassy!

I also didn't realize that S was your roomie! It is cool to see a photo of the 2 of you decorating the tree together. :-)

Jenski said...

Danielle, normally a tree is not that much of a hassle. My parents' tree is gigantic but we got it up straight on the first try. Glad you like the colors! This is the 3rd year S & I have been roommates. It means I get all the gossip from the downtown campus. What do you want to know? ;)

Danielle said...

Is L still in the lab, or has she finished? I can't remember what year she would be....