Happy Hanukkah everyone!
Today my advisor was going through the list of menorahs that she and her wife have had in recent years. Each one has come to a dangerous end. I do not know why they thought that a styrofoam menorah would be a good idea. She likes to burn beeswax candles, which are apparently hot burners, so glass menorahs have shattered. There was a metal one that tipped over. Luckily, they have been smart and are around when this happens and keep the candles away from their Christmas tree.
Most years, my sister, brother, or I have a Jewish friend spend Christmas with our family. The past couple of years, Hanukkah has been right around Christmas. This has been a wonderful opportunity for my nephew and niece to be a part of other religious traditions. After Christmas last year, my sister went to pick my nephew up at school and the teacher asked if she could ask an awkward questions - did my sister and her family celebrate Hanukkah? See, the teacher thought she knew who in the classroom celebrated what holidays, and then my nephew went on and on and on about lighting candles and singing prayers. He apparently still talks about Hanukkah, I am sure letting everyone know that he celebrates it at Christmastime.
2 comments:
A styrofoam menorah. Wow. Defies imagination.
Too bad that the glass ones shattered. I wouldn't have expected that.
Your nephew getting so excited about Hanukkah is very cute. :-)
I had people over for brunch today and my Jewish friend was talking about how to play dreidel and gelt, those chocolate coins. I piped in with the fact that Santa used to leave those in our stockings when we were little. His response - "Are you even Jewish??"
Post a Comment