06 November 2008

Where to start - on politics.

This election has people talking. I was just over at Kelly's reading and started writing more than should be in a comment. So, I guess I am posting about politics. Here we go.

I am a strong believer that people should vote for who they believe is the best candidate for whatever public position for which they are voting. Many of my voting decisions have been based on a candidate's stance on social issues. If you are reading, you better have voted this week. If you did not, go away. :-)

While my more, um, Republican family members are far from happy with the election results, I think they misunderstand my optimism. I, in no way, believe that Obama is going to "fix" things in his term. I think it is impossible. I am sure he will make mistakes, and there will be times he says or does things I do not agree with. I truly believe he will always do what he can to better this country. Aside from agreeing with his stance on most issues, I love that he is young and fresh. I think it will be great to have his family in the White House with their puppy. He is smart and articulate.

I had a soft moment for my ex the other day. (Bear with me people.) His Facebook status said something to the effect of, "Ex is glad with the election outcome and accepts that he will pay more in taxes." He was a card carrying Republican when I met him. We talked about our gay friends and their right to get married. We talked about a woman's right to make decisions for her own body. We talked about how I could not get a particular government fellowship because there was not enough money that year (or since) for the number of grants they had awarded in past years. He realized there are more important things than keeping a few thousand dollars more per year when he files his taxes because all of these other things are at stake. He turned in his card.

Some of these issues I have brought up with my family. It is easy for me to through tax reform issues out the window when I vote. I am the poor grad student in the family who has crappy healthcare options, no mortgage to worry about right now, will rely on the government to fund my research if I stay in academia, and no one but my cat at home to discuss these things so they get to hear me vent. I deleted most emails, and replied to others with snide comments. More recently I tried replied to emails with my opinion and clarification when the facts in the email were not checked. For something as important as this presidential election, I think it is wrong to keep passing on inaccurate or blatantly untrue quotes of either candidate and said as much. I posted both candidates official sites here the other day. I also was very open (in my daily life at least) that I hoped Obama would win.

I could babble on about this forever, I am sure. But really, what I keep thinking about is that I went to bed Tuesday optimistic, but ready for a let-down and the ensuing dismay just like the past two presidential elections in which I have been able to vote. I woke up happy, optimistic, and excited about the next four years.

5 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I agree. I'm not convinced he can do all he promised I am convinced he is new and trying a different approach to things. I hope his youth and energy will bring some life back into the Government.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, although I'm not QUITE as left-wing as you, sis. :-) Notice I didn't join in the family's email debates? Although I do feel that Obama's youth is a double-edged sword, and that inexperience goes along with it, but it's better than the alternative..."You betcha!"

Jenski said...

Ron, here's hopin'!

Amy, :). There's nothing more fun than debating over email. Usually when I respond, everyone else stops emailing...except Mom. ;)

Anonymous said...

We are right to realize that he can't work miracles and that maybe this mess can't completely be fixed, anyway. But I think what gives me hope is that I am the biggest cynic of them all, and this man and this election has even me hopeful. If he can improve my attitude, there's a good chance he can inspire and improve this country.

Jenski said...

kalki, are you cynical about your optimism too? :-)