19 June 2010

Guten tag!

I went on vacation for a little over two weeks to Germany. I got back just in time for the grad student in my lab's defense and for a rotating grad student to start working with me. I thought he was going to have classes during this summer rotation, but no, he will be with me full time for the next 8 weeks. He has been working full time in a lab for 6 months, so I am hoping he will be relatively independent relatively quickly. I have a grant to write for the beginning of August?! Anyway. More on science in a different post. VACATION! This is a small selection of photos (click for a larger view)...

Biggest town near CF's village. I really do not know what the right terms would be for the towns, but this harbor city is where he went to school. This is the beach. Those little hut things are beach seats that people own or rent. I know they are the norm in Germany; I am not sure about other countries.
We took a day trip to Helgoland. CF likes history, so he told me a lot about this island and translated most of the signs for me. (He eventually got sick of translating conversations and stuff and just said it would help me learn more German - Not if I don't know what's going on!) These colorful houses are a symbol of the island.
City Hall in Hamburg.
A view of Hamburg from Michel Tower.The Fish Market in Hamburg. These baskets were OVERFLOWING with fruit and were 10 euros. CHEAP! CF's sister brought me here and decided she would need to come back with a friend with who she could share the fruit in order to be able to eat it all.
A super old Lutheran cloister near CF's aunt and uncles. Apparently his aunt's friend recently looked into living here because is is a nice living.
CF playing with farm equipment at the agricultural museum.
In the museum for the county/area, there was stained glass. I took this picture because the one in the top right was the oldest of the collection - 1697!
We, of course, went to a zoo. Something we do fairly regularly actually. You could buy little bags of fruits and veggies to feed to some of the animals (like the elephants). Brilliant! People pay to come in and then pay again to feed the animals. This is one of my favorite photos from the zoo...and also from the American West section.
I had not had the chance to get a good sunset picture. (I get this from my Dad.) One day when we were driving home early evening, we drove up over a dike there was an amazing view of low tide, and a late sun but I did not ask CF to stop. That image will be one of those that I will always remember though. Anyway. The last night we got back to his parents, and the sunset was not bad. There are also a lot of windmills in the area, so it was an appropriate shot for the landscape I saw there. Here was my last night on the trip.
I have some other favorites I will post separately be cause they do not really need explanation. Tchüss!

2 comments:

danielle said...

Welcome back!

It is great to hear about your travels through these photos. You have some beautiful shots, and it sounds like, lots of additional memories to go with them.

I too, really like the prairie dog photo.

I'm also always really interested in any indication of differences in culture. So, the beach with the beach chairs/huts is really fascinating too. It brings to mind how I love to sit in the front or near the front of a class or a pier or a cliff so that my peripheral vision is filled with the main attraction and not with distractions.

Jenski said...

Thanks, Danielle! You know, while I was in Germany I kept thinking about the things I was noticing and that I should blog about them. Of course I didn't write them down. I'll have to pick my memory and maybe that will be a future post. :-)