When I moved into my own apartment my last year of grad school, a fellow grad student picked this side table up on his walk to campus because he thought I might want it!
The finish on it looked like it had clearly been wet a lot, because it was bubbly/cracking. I always thought about refinishing it. Then I found red paint I really liked and was going to use on a dresser. I was clever and started small though. After the mini bookcase, I moved on to the table.
I sanded down the table a bit just to get the top smooth, used the primer tinted with the paint, and applied 3 coats and the verathane finish. I basically would do a coat or two of whatever step I was on when I got home from work. I had some help along the way too.
This is the finished product. I do like the color! While I am tempted to paint one of my dressers this color, I do not know if I have the dedication for multiple coats of paint on a dresser. Sanding, cleaning, staining, and sealing seems like fewer steps.
I did not really "stage" the table. I moved my living room around so it is on the end though. Makes getting at the power strip and hard drive "hidden" under there much easier! I also cheated a bit - that drawer pull in the first picture? I just took it out, did not fill the holes, and have that side facing the wall (there is no drawer in the table, sadly). I need to measure how far apart the holes are and get a pull I like better. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment