01 August 2007

Living vicariously

I'm still relatively new to the whole use-the-internet-to-find-a-partner thing. It's interesting, entertaining, and time consuming if you want it to be. I have definitely specified things I do and do not want in a partner that I never before thought mattered...and maybe they only matter because there is a specific demographic using the internet to find people to date. These are preferences that I have changed only after specific communications of experiences with the whole online thing. There are different guys - the ones who come across as a tad bit too eager, the ones who I think would be great to date if I only I had received the match a little earlier so they weren't already "pursuing a match", the ones who apparently don't tell their friends that they are using an internet dating service. Me. I'm not ashamed. Ask, and I am MORE than happy to tell you all about it and show you my profile. :) One friend said to me, and I quote, "I don't know why you would need to use an online dating service. It's not like there is anything wrong with you!" Ummm...thanks?

Every day, my matches can provide a little procrastination and entertainment for all of my friends at work who are already in committed relationships. "Oh, where's he from?" "His dog is reeaaalllly cute." "He could be alright, just like the guy in 'Knocked Up'." "Yeah, close that match." One (male) officemate said he was going to set up profiles just to mess with me, but other (female) officemates think it's great that they can live vicariously through me and my dating stories. There's a part of me that loves telling them and thinks that this is what a lot of young adults do (dating, not necessarily using the internet to do so ), and being that I have never "just dated" much, it's a good experience. Then there is the part of me living vicariously through my office mate and looking over her shoulder to see what part of her wedding she is planning now.

Then there are the novel dating situations I have rarely, if ever, found myself in (due to the lack of "just dating" experience mentioned above). Even though you've talked with someone for a couple of hours on the phone and met and walked around talking for a couple more hours, if they give you the perfect opening to say you don't think it will work, do you just say: "No."? Or do you soften it up a little? "No, I'm not really interested in seeing you again, but thanks for asking." "Even though it was nice to meet you and we had some good conversation, there's just something that makes me think it won't work. Good luck!" Do you do it the old fashioned way and call him and say no thanks, or take the modern out, send a message back, and close the match?

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Jenski said...

I went with the online message to say I didn't think we should get together again...now I feel bad. :(

Oh, well.

Danielle said...

I don't think that saying "I don't think we should get together again." isn't all bad. I just think that a tad bit of softening might be nice. i.e. the ol' "While it was enjoyable (or perhaps 'nice' would be a better word?) to spend some time getting to know you, I don't think... etc. etc.

Of course, if you soften it too much, they might be left with some sort of hope that you'll change your mind? Who knows. This is definitely new ground.

Also, I have several friends using online dating services. I think it seems like a nice way to meet a variety of guys and get to know them without leaving it all to chance. :-)

Danielle said...

sorry - in the first sentence, that should say "is all bad" instead of isn't.