I FINALLY got my census form. I mean the commercials on the radio and TV and the letter telling me the census was coming nearly made me want to not fill it out. But, hey, 10 questions in 10 minutes, I can do that for my community. Also, that is a bit of a lie. It is 10 questions for Person One, and more questions for each subsequent person. Luckily my cat does not count, and I successfully filled it out in less than 10 minutes.
The ethnicity/race questions did remind me of a conversation. One of my friends was talking about how "white" and "black" are not races, but skin colors. (Pardon the tongue in cheek questions...If these are, in fact, races, shouldn't everyone describe their race with a color? And if we did, we would change races throughout the day: something bad happens, so you are blue, etc.) Anyway, she said she does not like to associate with "white" and filling this out I sorta have the same sense. I almost checked "Other" and filled in "American". My Mom likes "M" for "mongrel". And really, although I can trace back when and where most of my family came from, I am American.
3 comments:
I believe it's inevitable that one day these race questions will be obsolete. More and more people are of mixed parentage, or have been raised in a series of different countries all around the world. All of my best friends and both my husbands have been half-n-halfers.
OMG!! I've been censed too!! It was traumatic, with them asking all types of personal questions!!
Spark, that'll be nice a nice day I think.
Ron, totally feel violated. ;-)
Post a Comment