02 February 2011

Snow day!

On Monday, I declared today a snow day because of the forecast...which did not turn out to be sooo bad right where I live, but I am glad that I am not commuting on snowy roads today regardless.The view out my back door was not all that snowy this morning. Only ~ 4 - 6 inches more than when I went to bed.
But when I was filling my bird feeders, I noticed a nice layer of snow got inside through that little hole. I guess it was pretty windy!
When I went to shovel out front, I discovered it had, in fact, been quite windy. There was a nice big drift down the walkway to shovel.
I have been moderately productive today, as far as work goes. I have hung out with the cat a bit (i.e. she kept my lap warm most of the morning and would complain when I had to get up to use the bathroom). She would be a mighty hunter given the chance. Look at her ears flattened so she is not seen by those unsuspecting birds on the other side of the door.
I also managed to kill time in the kitchen. Big surprise. I made some muffins I have made before, but of course did not follow the same recipe closely. I did use flax meal as an egg substitute per the suggestion on the bag of flax, and it worked quite well! I also added rhubarb because I have a lot in my freezer. Then I broke a glass pie plate when I was getting out a container in which to store the muffins. I have to remember there is glass in my trash and not gouge the palm of my hand like I did almost 10 years ago pushing trash down with broken glass in there. Then I cleaned my Britta filter, because this isn't right.
The water around here just has lots of minerals and stuff in it. Nice, huh?

And I finally used one of the gifts that CF gave me (and realized I think I lost the cover to the sugar bowl). I even have a tea light in the bottom warmer, but do not think that it is keeping the tea hot.
Off to finish up a presentation to present a paper for lab meeting on Friday and some reading and maybe even writing...Oh! I am going to use some of the chicken broth I made a couple of weeks ago for homemade chicken soup for dinner. Yum.

3 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I'll take some tea... sound good... and a muffin too, pwease...

Unknown said...

yum.

Your cat looks great in front of the yard. We just did a whole genotype thing for cat coat color in lab in Genetics this week. So, I instantly started genotyping her without thinking when I saw the photo.

Does this tell you that my life is revolving around work waaaaaaaaaaay too much?

Well, and that the lab was interesting. ;-)

I like your teapot!

I've known teawarmers to keep teapots really hot. But the tip of the flame has to be almost touching the bottom of the teapot - which requires a certain height when they design it (and usually that the top be metal). So, they CAN work well if they are designed well.

Jenski said...

Ron, I hope they didn't get lost in the mail...

Danielle, I think any calico cat will prompt any scientist with genetics teaching background to think about that. :-) Turns out the tea warmer worked really well actually. Just didn't seem so hot when I was writing the post!