This past holiday season, I am pretty sure my clothes shrunk. So I have decided to resolve to try to eat healthier regularly. I am not an unhealthy eater, but making a point of eating particular foods again will help make my waistline smaller to be more comfortable in those shrunken clothes. ;-)
I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, with the emphasis on vegetables. Because I do not always feel like making a salad to bring to work for lunch, this is often washing a couple of carrots and just chomping into them whole at work. Why take the time to cut carrot sticks?
I am trying to eat yogurt on most days. Once in a while this will be in the form of a fruit smoothie for several days in a row. That does not work in the cold of winter when I just want hot coffee in the car on the way to work though. I have resorted to buying single serving yogurts because it preempts the "I don't feel like mixing plain yogurt with fruit and honey to bring to work" excuse of not eating yogurt.
I am trying to add thing to my cooking to make it healthier. I use yogurt in a lot to do this. Adding ground flax meal is an easy go-to as well. Depending on what I make, I will even add some fiber powder. Why not? I also bought some wheat flour to mix with white flour when I bake. I also picked up frozen spinach and green peppers - two things that are really easy to add to lots of recipes.
Start eating healthier breakfasts. Toast with peanut butter and/or jelly is easy, but maybe not the best for me to eat every day. I like bringing something home made in the car with me to eat on the way to work. I have gone through pancake and muffin phases over the past couple of years. One of my awesome Christmas presents was waffle irons to use in my panini press. (I highly recommend this griddler. I got it from Woot and use it a lot.) I have zeroed in on an oatmeal waffle recipe that is PERFECT for bringing in the car. Maybe I will make a batch in the morning and post that.
Anyhoo. With my resolve to eat a bit healthier and add more veggies, I have now made this "pizza crust" twice with great results. Call it what you will, but it is in reality a cauliflower-based flat bread with toppings. The two I have made while using up stuff in the fridge.
This recipe is quite fast, really. The only thing I have really done with the "crust" recipe is add some ground flax (one of my favorite things to do, and can be used to replace the egg if you mix it with some water before hand), and then play with the spices. The crushed garlic was too much because it made my mouth taste like garlic at work after eating it. I figure you could do a lot with this recipe:
- Use rosemary in the crust and top with thin sliced potato, chives, and cheese
- Top with buffalo chicken and cheese, and melt cheese. Add a salad and blue cheese dressing to the top before eating
- A breakfast one with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese
3 comments:
Not much for cooking, but if you would give me some of those I would most certainly munch on them ;-)
Haha - Do you have a food processor? That would make the crust recipe even easier. It seriously takes me about 30 minutes start to finish!
How funny that you mention the cauliflower crust; a friend of mine was just telling me a few days ago about how she needs a food processor in order to make it more easily!
Anyway, good for you for working to make your recipes healthier! I'll email you some of Texas Seestor's weight watchers recipes too, if you are interested. In general, I find that the weight watchers recipes add a lot of celery and carrots to things to increase the veggie/fiber level but to not change taste all that much. It is an interesting strategy.
I always gain a handful of pounds over Christmas/New Year's because I'm sleeping more, teaching less (i.e. less active), and eating holiday candies and cookies. I'm slowly getting rid of them again, but it is a slow process that really takes resolve.
Good luck!
Oh, and email me if you want some of those recipes. :-)
Post a Comment