19 January 2014

The count-down

I am lucky. I still have another week before classes start. I have been relatively productive during break, but could have done more planning and prep before now if I had cared to. At the same time, I am definitely not going into the semester exhausted, which is a good thing.

I am not sure if I have mentioned it, but I am teaching a lecture/lab course plus one intro lab this semester. In the sciences we figure out staffing by contact hours, so I will be in the classroom teaching for 9 hours a week. The intro lab is no big deal - there is a person who preps the labs - but I will also be sitting in on the lecture so I know what the students are learning and also sitting in on a lab before mine so I know what to teach - that will add another 6 hours to my in-class time each week. The other class I am teaching I have decided to do from scratch even though I have my predecessor's materials, so it will be fairly time consuming to generate the course material. My knowledge is different from my predecessors, so it was either learn what she had taught and teach it, or draw on what I know and make up new labs. So I went with the latter.

Unfortunately I will not have my research set up before the start of classes, so I am not sure if I will be able to use my research in my teaching lab this year, but will down the road!

I realized last week that I actually have to be putting together lectures for the semester. Tomorrow, I start my one-lecture-prep-a-day plan. Over the course of the week, I need to outline the first few labs too. I am excited about the course, as it is upper level, and am trying to hold the self-doubt at bay. I know I can do it, I just need to do it.

In other news, I painted this. It will be fired and ready to pick up this week. I picked it as a pet dish, but we will see if she gets to use it or not. I painted the flower on the inside figuring it could be a water dish, and then I could still see my handy work. A few of us went for a ladies' night at one of those paint-your-own studios, and we all did completely different designs. It will be fun to see how they look after being glazed and fired!
In other-other news, I spent a fun couple of days in Philadelphia this weekend.
 The stairs Rocky runs on.
 The Liberty Bell, which I learned was cracked from day 1.
 Independence hall.
 The room in which the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed. George Washington sat in the chair in the front!
 Random alley...
I have also managed to run 3- 4 times per week, thanks to some friendly motivation. For some reason I don't feel like I am getting any faster or that it is getting any easier. I think I need to try running without music, as boring as that sounds, to figure out what my natural pace is. It is on my To Do list for tomorrow.

My motivation to keep on top of my work this semester is going to be more short trips like this. 7 days to the new semester and counting...

5 comments:

Lynmittsky said...

I was wicked lazy this weekend, and I haven't gone for a run since Thursday, guess I've fallen behind. Hope I can catch up this week. Good luck with the second semester!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

I haven't run since Monday... I'm not going to say what year it was on a Monday though ;-) And be careful with those new labs, I don't want you accidentally starting a zombie plague by accident.

April said...

Prepping for a new course is hard work...and I only had 7th graders staring back at me. You will find your grove and planning will become second nature. Great job with the running! It took me a loooong time to get any faster and it never really feels easy, haha.

Jenski said...

Well, Rapunzel. I caught up to you, so it's your turn to run!

Ron, I'll give you a heads up when we release the zombies.

April, prepping feels like a whole lot of doing nothing trying to read and get organized to actually write plans and make presentations!

Sparkling Red said...

Teaching is a much harder job than one would credit until you've tried doing it. (I have been a professional teacher, but only for one year. That was enough for me.)