15 January 2008

Kooky liquor store lady

(Probably a good example of a "Jen story".)

There is this Kooky Lady who works at the liquor store near my apartment. When people mention they have gone to this liquor store and I ask if they had the Kooky Lady, they know exactly who I am talking about. She is the queen of gaudy jewelry, has frizzy blond/grey hair that she wears in a loose bun, and completely mix-matched dresses/skirts/sweaters that frequently have a small floral print and gathered elastic waists. One time she was staring at my neck (where I have a nice scar from getting my thyroid out last year) and finally said, "That's a really pretty necklace." Uh huh.

This is my third year in this apartment, and I don't think I have a drinking problem or anything, but I've been going to only this liquor store for over two years. This woman always asked for ID when I first started going, so I just started having it ready for her and she always said, "Thank you for being prepared. We really appreciate that." My roommate did not get carded there last weekend, right before her 30th birthday. I stopped by today and thought maybe I would see if the Kooky Lady would ask for my ID. She did and I obliged. She said, "You look a lot younger than that."

My response to that comment the past year has been, "I think it's because I'm single and have no children."

Tonight, I just stuck with "thanks". I can't wait to tell my roommate that I'm still getting carded.

7 comments:

Danielle said...

But wait, were you wearing a necklace in addition to your scar? Or did she somehow think that your scar was a tattoo/necklace? odd.

Regardless, it sounds a bit kooky. It is funny that you can ask people if they have seen the kooky lady and they know exactly who you mean.

And my Dad was carded, grey hair and all, at 50. Evidently it was the store policy. But still, pretty funny.

Jenski said...

A ha! And like a true Jen story, Danielle was left with slight confusion. :) I was also wearing a necklace.

Ern said...

Some people don't need much description to be identified. Sort of like the crazy cat lady in our neighborhood.

Are there more kooky women than kooky men, I wonder?

Carolyn said...

I was thinking the same thing as Danielle! I'm glad you were wearing a necklace too.

At age 25 I was carded trying to get into an R rated movie. I wasn't so happy about that. The chick (who probably WAS under 17) looked at my ID and said "oh...never mind". Thanks.

Sparkling Red said...

Just last summer a guy in his late 20's assumed that I was younger than my 21-year-old sister, and still living at home with my parents. Imagine his suprise when he found out that I was 34 years old! (I will never tell this story as a blog post because my sister felt somewhat insulted and she reads my blog.)

Jenski said...

Ern, Crazy Cat Lady is a pretty common one, I think. Sometimes I think crazy men are usually called creepy instead.

Carolyn and Sparkling Red, I guess you guys look a lot younger than me. S.R. Sounds like a great story!

Maxie said...

I got carded last year for buying cigarettes (i was 21 at the time) and the guy made the comment that I looked about 16 years old. Crazy people.