16 January 2008

Flirting is fun

My Roommate gave me a subscription to Real Simple for Christmas. I've read the magazine before and really like the hints and tips it provides. It also has very brief stories intermixed. I just started reading the February issue and there is a short article on flirting and how important it is. Dictionary dot com gives basically three definitions:
1. to court triflingly or act amorously without serious intentions
2. to trifle or toy, as with an idea:
3. to move with a jerk or jerks
Proper flirting requires a certain amount of confidence and humor, a great smile to accompany it, and can brighten a person's day. Flirting doesn't have to be between two people attracted to each other. Sometimes, the best (innocent) flirting (in my opinion) is with a baby or toddler. I'm not sure where innocent flirting falls in to Dictionary Dot Com's definitions, but I think the general public sometimes calls joking around flirting. My father is an expert at flirting with little kids. He has kept small children entertained with peek-a-boo and funny faces in lines at Disney World; he has played guns with a couple of boys in a traffic jam.

Most of the funny moments in my day involve some amount of good-hearted banter among graduate students, which I take to be flirting most of the time. Like today:

First (male) grad student to Jenski: That's a really nice hair cut, by the way.
Jenski: Thanks!
[Second (male) grad student sneaks right through the door in front of me as we get to it simultaneously.]
Jenski (with a smile of course): Second grad student, that was really rude. Sneaking through a door like that before a girl.
2nd grad student: That's okay Jenski, I not only like your hair, but also your company.
Jenski: Is that because of my sparkling personality?
2nd grad student: Your sparkling personality and your peppermint rice krispie treats*.
Jenski: That's really sweet, 2nd grad student.

See, light-hearted banter to brighten my day and make me glad I wasn't hiding somewhere working on the grant I should be writing.

*Just crush up a bunch of those candy canes lying around that Santa left on the tree and no one wanted to eat (or buy a bag of peppermint candies and crush those up). Mix them in the with the rice krispies. Add marshmallow mix. Tada! Amazing peppermint rice krispie treats. YUM.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

You know, I've never made rice crispy treats. I do like the ones that are more peanut buttery and with chocolate on top, however.

You know, I would call what your Dad was doing with little kids joking around. I think of flirting as being 2 people who _could_ be attracted to each other, even if they are not. Hence, joking between 2 heterosexual women is joking around or bantering. Yes, bantering might be better. And the same goes for a gay guy and a straight woman who are bantering, I wouldn't call that flirting.

And yes, a little light-hearted banter can perk up anyone's day. Isn't that nice?

Sparkling Red said...

A little flirting really makes my day. :-)

Another thing that can make my day: *brownies* with crushed candy canes on top. Mmmm.... Have you ever made those?

Jenski said...

Danielle, chocolate makes everything better. Hmmmm...I guess my interactions with fellow grad students really are flirting then.

Sparkling Red, I cannot wait to put crushed candy canes on top of brownies.

Anonymous said...

I love Real Simple. And those treats sound good!

I'm not much of a flirt outside the house, but I'm big on banter.