20 January 2008

I've been outed

I'm at my parents' house this weekend for "(mini-)Big Burn Weekend #3" and my roommate made it home with me. Sometime during the spectacular Pats game, the subject of blogs came up.
My sister looked at me and said, "Do you blog, or do you just read blogs?"
Me, "Yes."
Roommate, "You haven't told your family you have a blog??"
[total chaos ensues]
Me, "I swear it isn't that interesting! Roommate doesn't even read it!"
Sister, "What do you write about on there? Why didn't you tell me?"
Me, "Someday when I have kids and want to post their pictures online, I'll have a new blog and tell you. I post recipes and random stories. It's really not that interesting! Roommate, you should really spend more time online." (That last point was just to try and shift the conversation.)

I also had my Mom and roommate and brother-in-law all talking at me at once. It's not that I don't want my family to know, it's just I felt like telling my friends, not my family. I was tired of relaying online dating stories to friends when we would finally end a game of phone tag and catch up. I pretty much just cut and pasted blog posts into many an email to my sister anyway.

We'll see how long before my sister really harasses me for the URL.

4 comments:

Maxie said...

Oh gosh, I'd die.

Danielle said...

There are definitely 3 camps, in my opinion. (1) Those who tell everyone (friends, family, co-workers), (2) those who tell everyone except one group (i.e. all but coworkers), (3) those who keep it totally secret and wait for random people to find their blog. It seems like it really depends on what you want your blog to be. Do you want to vent about people you know? In which case, you probably wouldn't want them reading it. Do you want to use it to spread information? You'd probably tell more people about it.

Personally, I hesitate to tell anyone at work about it. But everyone else knows - including my entire Christmas card list this year....

To each her own.

Danielle said...

Oh, and I love how you distracted them from the topic. ;)

Sparkling Red said...

I am still debating about whether or not I want my mom reading my blog. Not that I want a license to trash her or anything, but just knowing that she's reading could make me feel self-conscious. On the other hand, maybe I should just tell her and get over it!
I won't be telling all of my family members. I don't trust them all that much.