23 July 2008

Traveling with boys

The hike I went on over the weekend was with two boys. Two boys and me. Let me tell you. Boys think girls are moody and indecisive? REALLY?

We drove to my parents house Friday night and had talked about going into town to grab a drink. Boy 1 said they had to get their picture taken with a local. Funny. :-) I was hoping the owner of the bar was there, because he knows me. I had to settle for a bartender. Another friend had commented that the at least the bartender does not know me because I go there all the time, you know, because I do not live there. I had to admit that he knows me because I used to go there all the time. Anyway. Indecisive point one. I left it up to the boys whether they wanted to go in. I grew up there, after all, so it was not going to be exciting for me (except a friend ended up meeting up with us and it was great to hear the town gossip). I would have been happy staying at my parents and having a beer in the hot tub. I do not think either of them liked that idea. Finally they decide, fine, we will go grab a drink. They buy me a beer for driving all weekend. So far not too bad.

Then I am under the impression we are going to try to leave the house definitely by 8:00. I wake up early and am all excited that I get to go back to sleep. I wake up again at 7:00 and not a peep in the house. 10 minutes later, I get up and let the cat out. My parents were not home, so I went outside and checked out what they had cleared since I was last there. They live in the woods, after all. See? This is me and my niece and nephew picking berries there last summer.Around 7:30 a.m., Boy 2 emerges. Boy 1, who had the great idea to leave early? Still in bed. Boy 2 and I make some PB&Js and are ready to go. I joke that I will send the cat in to wake up Boy 1 who does NOT like animals. Boy 2 goes over to the room to get Boy 1 up. Boy 1 starts barking at Boy 2 and I yell, "Geez! Someone is cranky in the morning!" (As if I should talk, but at this point I had been up for an hour.) {pause} "What?" Boy 1 yells back. "Uh, nothing." :-)

Come to find out, Boy 1 did not fall asleep until 4:00. Not my problem. I had been up for an hour?! We finally make it out of the house and grab an amazing breakfast at a local diner. All is good. We end up driving around and trying to figure out the trail map and the teenager at the toll house for the road was not remotely helpful. Boys can not help me decide where to park and where to look for the trail. Finally we see a trail sign, park, and are off.

I take the lead and look back and Boys are far behind. I was worried because they are both much taller than me. I go to the gym though. Boy 1 claims I was so fast because of all the yoga I do. The hiking part was fun. I did not even think about work/school!

The ride home after showering was full of cranky and indecision. Boy 1 slept a lot, so that was good. Deciding where to stop for dinner? Impossible: No cash for the cash only place. Neither is happy with fast food. That local place is too expensive. We drove too far and must have missed the Sports Grille. We should go back and look. Really? McDonald's again? Maybe we should just keep looking?

Finally I told them we were eating at McD's again, and they both shut up.

Now I apparently have two hiking buddies. I think it is because I am happy to drive and they can sleep, I like being outside and do not complain, I do not back out, plus I am happy to make decisions for them and am far less cranky than either of them.

3 comments:

Warped Mind of Ron said...

LOL... sounds like my group of friends trying to pick a place to eat. It drives me nuts. I've often threatened that if they don't find something acceptable to them soon that I will just go get my own dinner.
I left/will leave you an award on my site (Thursdays Post).

Jenski said...

See, Ron. Eventually you just have to make a decision for them to make them shut up. I've seen some of your stories. :) Thanks for the heads up!!!

Sparkling Red said...

I've heard there is a male version of menopause, called andropause. Could it be that there's also a male version of PMS? Cause it sounds like both these guys had it bad.