20 February 2008

As if you wanted to know

I just wanted to invite you all to the pity party. I try not to complain too much at work.

I woke up Monday morning intending to work all day but had a painful chest cough and ultimately stayed home. It was just kinda like: Tada! You have a painful chest cough. I fought a fever off most of that day, but Monday night was not pretty. I was hot; I was cold; I drank too much water and had to pee but was completely off balance; I had a fever; I was sweaty. Yuck. Tuesday morning I felt amazing though! I was so proud of myself for fighting off whatever it was...Until about an hour into the work day. Then the tylenol was the only thing keeping me lucid. But then when I left work at the end of the day I felt much better. [I think I am allergic to work.]

Today, the cough is still pretty bad even with the hot tea, gallons of water, and cough syrup. So I went to the doctor; only I was not coughing or weezing while I was there so she said I am fine. (Well, really she said come back in a week if the cough hasn't gotten better.) I suppose this is good because her immediate reaction to my symptoms was, "It's the flu."

For the record. Not everyone gets the flu when they do not get a flu shot! I am a healthy young adult and do not live in a dorm. Why do I need a flu shot? Save 'em for the older, younger, and dorm dwellers! I have been going to work because I have a presentation in two weeks, so I am glad I did not pass on the flu.

I have been super careful about washing my hands and coughing/sneezing into my sleeve. My four year old niece even does this, but rumor has it that it is not "socially acceptable" yet. [Check out this public service announcement. I laughed. I cried. It became a part of me.]

Anyway. This is all just an excuse for not attempting to come up with anything "good" to write about. But if you come away with anything, it should be: Cough and sneeze into your sleeve where the germs "will dessicate and die". (See above service announcement.)

On a completely unrelated note, the dog we are sitting is definitely warming up. He has now followed me around the apartment a few times on his own! I would almost venture to say he likes me.

7 comments:

Maxie said...

i can feel myself getting the flu too :-(

Emma Gorst said...

I don't see why healthy people should have to get flu shots either. Keep on doing the handwashing and sleeve-sneeze. It's my favorite one too.

Danielle said...

I get flu shots, but they announced this year that they "guessed wrong" and the shot wouldn't protect against this year's variations of flu anyway. Evidently, your doctor is out of the loop on that one.

I'm glad to know the coughing/sneezing into your sleeve is the way to go. I always do it because I often have gloves on, and have gotten used to doing it. But little did I know it is the preferred method of sneezing. HA! I feel justified.

I hope you feel better soon. It sounds really rotten.

Miss Bee said...

:o( Sorry to hear that you're feeling so ill. It sounds like you're doing the best you can to take care of yourself, though, so keep up the good work!

Ern said...

Feel better. The flu is hopscotching around our building as well; hopefully I will continue to avoid it. I should email the PSA around. ;)

Sparkling Red said...

This has been such a bad year for sickness, at least with the people I know. I feel fortunate not to have caught anything even when the plagues were making the rounds in my office. My vitamin regimin must be working.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Jenski said...

Maxie, don't do that!

Aurora, I am amazed when they push the flu shot on *everyone*.

Danielle, hope you still escape the plague! It is no good sneezing into gloves when you are trying to run experiments.

Molly, hope you didn't pick it up while you were here. My apologies in advance.

Ern, good luck! Just avoid people. :)

Spark, maybe I need a better vitamin regimen?