As the semester rolls on and I have more things to do for my three jobs, I have a feeling posts are going to get a little lame around here. I'll do the best I can! I have some things to write about, but they all require a bit of time trying to write them.
Anyhoo. My three jobs. Somehow, after being ridiculously involved in extracurriculars in high school, and then minimally so in college, I have landed smack-dab in the middle of it all in grad school. I get a lot more accomplished when I am busy, which is great. At the same time, what I am getting accomplished is not all in the lab and related to my research. Each "job" has a lot of benefits though.
Like my thesis work. That's going to get me a PhD!
And being involved in student government has given me a lot of insight into university administration, and makes me very visible on campus. One friend reminds me every so often that I am essentially the grad student representing allllll other grad students on campus to the administration. No pressure. This job also provides a little extra income.
And I am a writing tutor. I taught English in China for a year and love teaching in general, so this has been a great opportunity to get paid more...I mean get more teaching experience. Seriously though. The tutoring program has historically been English grad students primarily, as they hit a point in the PhD program where funding is not available and there are fewer resources anyway. As a science grad student, I do feel a little guilty because I am earning money that a lesser paid grad student could be earning. At the same time, I have experience with writing in the sciences and other students may not. So then I feel less guilty.
K. That's my hectic school life. Off to bed so I can get up for my mid-week yoga class!
6 comments:
If I ever go back to school I am totally hiring you as a tutor, lol. Can you do my bio homework too? kthxbye.
Ah, student representative, eh? I can see that you would be good at that. And it is definitely the sort of thing that gives you exposure and networking. Good for you, even if it _is_ a bit of a time sink.
Is the english tutoring on top of your other T.A. duties? If so, that seems like a lot to be juggling.
Having a science grad student teaching writing is really valuable for your students, not all of whom are humanities, I bet. And it will look great on your résumé.
Some of my favourite authors are scientists. It's great that you can exercise both sides of your brain. The world needs more well-written, less dry science prose!
Easy solution - quit the dissertation :)
I plan to go off to join the circus. If you want to join me, let me know.
Maxie, I won't do it, but I will lead you to the right answer. :)
Danielle, yup! I'm the prez even. The English tutoring is a completely separate thing through the tutoring center. But I get to set my hours, so that's good.
Aurora, lots of good teaching experience to prove I like teaching!
Spark, I'm not sure how I could do at authoring anything other than grants and science articles, but it does make me appreciate science-authored books out there that much more.
Carolyn, what's your act? And why would you run off now? You should have done that in year 3!
Post a Comment