30 March 2008

A history of BFFs

Sparkling Red did a friend recap not too long ago. It always a bitter-sweet thing to think about where some friendships have or have not ended up. Here goes nothin' (with some modifications).

Best grade school girlfriend: She and I were INSEPARABLE in elementary school. In 6th grade, there were town-wide 6th-grade dances to start forging ties among the elementary school students who would all come together in middle school. I was really shy and did not make new friends then; I think she did. I still remember the first day of 7th grade. She did not talk to me. I had no idea why, but she seemed to have a new group of friends already on that first day. It was not until sometime in high school when we started even saying hi to each other in the hallway. I always feel sad about this for my 7th-grade self.

Best Middle-School and High-School girlfriends: One of my oldest friends is from 8th grade - we would braid each other's hair in science class. She and I have had our ups and downs, but always manage to reconnect just before the friendship seems like it is over for good. Although we do not talk frequently enough to know everything that goes on in each other's lives, I like to think we still share all the big stuff and are there for each other when we need to be. I also added a close friend a few years older than me in high school from concert band. Her son is my godson. Then there is one other friend I lost track of in high school when I started dating my boyfriend at the time. She and I drank together. :) My dad recently ran into her and her baby, got her email address for me, and now I need to make the time to reconnect with her.

Best University girlfriend: I do not know how to choose! The four women I lived with my senior year are probably the ones to whom I would turn first in a crisis and they are of course always there. Thanks, Molly, KHC, and Carolyn (and Dr. J if you check in once in a while). We'll call the fifth friend from college Zika. She and I had a falling out senior year but now live in the same city and it is nice to see her somewhat regularly.

The woman I met at my first post-Uni job: Well, I was a research tech for a couple of years before grad school. I am really grateful for all of the strong and intelligent women I met and am friends with from that time. That's how I know Danielle! :) There are also two of those women who I am still extremely grateful are in my life - I live with one of them and I used to live with the other.

Best girlfriend from grad school: Probably my lab mate. We got off to a rough start because I was used to being really independent, in control, and essentially coordinating a project as a tech. We are pretty good now! I am DREADING her graduation.

Worst girlfriend from grad school: I do not have any bad situations really, just some women I am closer to and some I am not.

7 comments:

Sparkling Red said...

It's good to hear that you've had many more good friends than bad ones over the years. Certainly, the middle school years can be harsh. I had a friend that stopped speaking to me after 6th grade too, but at least it wasn't my best friend.

Here's to strong women and warm friendships! :-)

KHC said...

Thanks, Jenski! What an honor. I think I will put this on my resume. :-)

(PS - I am trying to be cute, not sarcastic. It's hard to tell in print...)

Carolyn said...

Yay friends!

Miss Bee said...

Yay friends indeed!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Glad to hear you had so many good friends.

Danielle said...

Yay friends!

I had some weird twists and turns in friendships in elementary school/middle school/high school. It is odd how that happens. too many cliques, I suppose.

Jenski said...

Spark, kids must just get weird during those early puberty years.

KHC, you totally should. I'll back you up. ;)

Caro & Molly, here is another YAY!

Ron, me too!

Danielle, I remember hearing or reading some of your stories. All hard friend stories during those years make me wonder what teens are really thinking. I suppose they are not. Maybe just selfish years when they do not realize their actions truly affect others.