26 April 2008

I take it as a challenge

I had the privilege of spending about 10 hours celebrating a friend's marriage today. She and I started grad school the same time. There was a good contingency from our department and it was a lot of fun.

The challenge I mention in the title has nothing to do with graduate school.

The challenge will be having a wedding that so perfectly represents my and my future partner's relationship as the one I went to today represented my friend and her now husband (twice over...they have already been married in Africa, but today was the wedding that will be recognized world-wide and next year a reception in Germany...).

There was a perfect introduction of the couple by the minister; there was a friend playing trumpet; there were two sisters as flower girls, one helping the other to empty her basket of flowers; there were daffodils the bride planted last fall to use at her wedding; there were tents set up for those who were staying overnight at the house they rented; there was contradancing.

There was this great path to the house. We will say it represents the journey they have just embarked on together.

6 comments:

Emma Gorst said...

What's contradancing?

I have had friends who got married on two different continents. Now that is a serious kind of wedding!

Sparkling Red said...

I had friends who had a perfect wedding for them. The groom was ferried to the site of the ceremony standing in the prow of a rowboat while two best men rowed him down a river to the dock by a grassy lawn. There was a moment of worry when he almost fell out of the boat while disembarking, but he got onto land safe and dry. There were dozens of other magical and personal touches. I loved it!

Jenski said...

Ron, it was!

Aurora, contradancing is similar to square dancing in that there is a caller that teaches you the dance. I should post some pictures today!

Spark, that sounds great! Except for the whole almost falling in. That would have been bad.

Anonymous said...

I want my wedding to just be a huge party... maybe that says a little something about me, but I just want to keep it about having fun... instead of a miserable, stressful day that some weddings turn into.

Carolyn said...

What will you think of my future wedding on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise in Vegas? I think I'll have a Klingon officiate.

Jenski said...

Maxie, that is the beauty of it. If you have a giant party and everyone thinks, "this is soooooo Maxie," it will be perfect!

Carolyn, wear any hoop dresses recently?