02 April 2008

What do I get myself into?

As I mentioned yesterday, my internet at home is a little funky (as in we give money to the couple upstairs, they provide us with wireless, and it is not working right now). So you get a brief glimpse at the kind of stuff I get myself into through the grad student council...

In, oh, 5 minutes I am supposed to be at a pre-dinner reception.

Then a dinner.

Then a lecture.

Then a post-lecture reception.

The topic? Byzantanium and Armenian art. I am a biologist. I can look at art and wonder how anyone can produce it. In general, I would say that I hate history. This will be rough. Never mind that I am supposed to introduce this woman. Twice. At dinner and the lecture.

I like biology. Like labs and experiments and data, when I'm lucky. I am lucky tonight though - lots of free food and really that is what grad students are in this for.

7 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

Free dinner is always good!

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Free food is good, but you have to talk?! In front of a crowd??? I would rather be shot.

Emma Gorst said...

Free food is worth a lot. Today someone brought muffins to class and I had TWO. It really made my day. You can get through anything if chocolate is involved. It will numb the pain. Plus no-one minds the announcer. It's not like you can embarrass yourself.

Danielle said...

How odd that they are having you introduce the speaker and not an art major. You must have stood out somehow so they said "Jenski can do it!".

lucky you. ;-)

I hope the food is good. Free bad food is disappointing.

Jenski said...

I've never met a person who thought free food was not a good idea! Free chocolate is even better.

Danielle, if you're the president, you have to speak regardless of your field of interest. :)

The talk was good! I didn't even try to stay awake, I just DID stay awake. The woman was able to tell a really good story, basically.

Sparkling Red said...

Next time, I'll go on your behalf. ;-) I love history, especially as stories told by someone who's passionate about the subject.

Biology is cool too. I just basically like learning stuff.

Jenski said...

Spark, only if you do the speaking before hand! :)