02 February 2008

The Biggest Loser

I watched the first two seasons of The Biggest Loser and was amazed by how much they improve their health. Even though I do not currently really worry about my weight, I have tried to be healthier in the past year. This has come with lots of compliments on how I look...and not a pound lost. One person whose dog we have visit regularly didn't even recognize me after about a 4 month period of absence.

If I could exercise and be given healthy food all day for six weeks (or whatever it is on Biggest Loser), I would have the most amazing body?! But, the hardest part of that show is when they go back to their real lives and jobs and have to keep the good habits. Since joining the gym, I go 4 to 5 times a week and feel incredibly guilty if I don't go. I don't necessarily kill myself exercising, but if I get to the gym for an hour, that's not bad.

I think Biggest Loser and the rest of the world could just taking spinning classes every day to get healthy. Not because I am or want to be obsessed with spinning (I've only taken two classes in the past three or four years), but because spinning classes can KICK YOUR BUTT.

KHC and I went to one today. When she first asked if I would be interested in going, I said I had been to a class once and almost died. Her response? "Oh, good! You know how to use the bikes." I think she ignored the part about me almost dying. ;)

I didn't almost die today, but near the end of class, I did decide I wanted to take it easy and cool down. Apparently the instructor didn't think that was acceptable. Five or six people had already left, for crying out loud?! He looked at me and kept repeating, "Kick it out. Push through. Keep going." until I got up in position 3 and sped it up a bit.

For most of the class, he would look around periodically, but he really made a point of making eye contact with me that last time until I shaped up. Of course earlier in the class, I told KHC she was being silly when she thought he kept looking at her when he would say to "Kick it out" or whatever.

Anyway. Spinning? Amazing work out. Better yet, I didn't die. And I will never by special spinning shoes, but I will go to a class again. Off to take another ibuprofen.

9 comments:

Emma Gorst said...

That is so not my style of working out. I'm all, "Wow, this is easy, I can keep doing this. Step it up a notch? Why?? I'm going to burn 183 calories anyway... that's 183 more than nothing..." One of my exes is all, "no pain no fricking gain." I don't get it. The world only needs so many Olympians.

Maxie said...

spinning classes seriously make me want to DIE. My sister teaches spinning 4 times a week (YES CAN YOU IMAGINE???) so when she was teaching I joined a gym and I seriously could not get through a class. I am pathetic, but that crap hurts my crotch! I could totally keep up with the rest...but the pain...no freakin thank you. I'd rather go run.

Jenski said...

Aurora, I don't like feeling pain, only the fatigue that lets me know I did something. I say, "No pain? GREAT!" :)

Maxie, I totally didn't turn up the resistance for at least half the time he told us to. No point in actually dying! I'm totally feeling the bike seat today. You're sister's crazy, in my humble opinion.

Carolyn said...

They sell specialty spinning shoes? That's...something.

KHC said...

Next time we'll just make sure to get there early so we can get bikes in the back of the class.

Jenski said...

Carolyn, yup. :)

Good call, KHC. Then we can be closer to the cute boy in the back too.

Sparkling Red said...

I've never tried spinning. I'm not tempted either, after reading all of the above! ;-)

Danielle said...

I've never understood why they don't just call it bicycling? Does that conjure up too many old-fashioned impressions?

Jenski said...

Spark, if you want to feel like your heart is going to explode in your chest, you should totally try it.

Danielle, it's a "spinning" class in the gym's "cycling" studio, so you got me!