28 February 2008

Thoughts on a time gone by

I do not have anything very insightful coming to mind. I had paid for the online dating service through the end of January and did not realize it would auto-renew. But it did. So I had it through today.

When I went through the process of canceling the membership, I was brought through several screens asking about my experience. I made sure to put in there that I felt like I was paying for a service I could not fully utilize. All of the men I met in person had initiated communication; all of the men with whom I initiated communication closed the match. Why would I pay to let men have the opportunity to meet me? The whole point was to put in an effort to get out there. I do not, by any means, think I am God's gift to the opposite sex. But I do think that I am pretty, down to earth, intelligent, motivated, etc. Plus I like beer, sports, and cooking. Therefore, I also think that I am just as capable of deciding if a match would work as any guy up with whom I am matched. [I love not ending sentences with prepositions.]

One thing I considered was joining a different site. One of the dates I went on (Restaurant-Owner Guy) commented on the women on the site where he and I met, saying they were a little more nutty. He also said something implying he used three sites. THREE! Who has the kind of time to search around three sites? He owns three restaurants, for crying out loud. Would spending time on three sites really save you the time of going out and meeting people? This is one reason I will not join another site. I have been there, done that, and now need to put in an effort to actually do things. Like grab a drink with friends. Or find something to do outside of school.

I also figure I would just come across the same people. The other big site gives you the option to search for available people in your area. I did this, curious, one day. I came across Mr. Chef, as I mentioned a while back. Life got in the way for he and I. He became closed match #301. On this other site, it said he was active though. I suppose active only means that you have been online. It still makes me not want to go search through a bunch of guys who decided on a different site that it would not work out. Waste of time and money.

So for now I will keep busy with multiple jobs and trying to finish grad school. The multiple jobs are great because they help me almost afford being able to go to the weddings of all of my friends who are getting married. Being in a wedding is expensive. Driving to and staying in a hotel for a wedding are also expensive. So I will work. And maybe meet boys that way.

Anyone curious about the final tally?

3 at some stage of communication (I haven't heard from 2 in long enough that I don't feel I should offer them an explanation. The third, I sent a message saying I was taking a break from the site, but here is my phone number if you would like to meet up.)
26 matches with no activity (but they were too cute to close!)
593 closed matches
Total: 622

3 comments:

Sparkling Red said...

Yeeesh! I have nothing but admiration for single, intelligent women who don't give in to bitter disillusionment. I've never had to do the dating thing (call me Ms. Serial Monogamy). It sounds exhausting. :-p

Danielle said...

ugh. 600+ is depressing.

I can see why you would cancel when you've gone through so many and they haven't worked out.

It is good to hear that this hasn't made you down on yourself. :-)

Jenski said...

Spark, don't be fooled. I do get bitter, I just try my darndest to not seem bitter...

Danielle, thanks. :) It's almost a relief to not have think about logging in to check on the matches!