I have these seed-bead bracelets that my friend sent me when
I lived in China and
she was in Africa. [She and I have been
friends since middle school when we would braid each others' hair in science class.] When she sent me a couple while we were both abroad, I wore them all the time and told my students where they were from and who had sent them. Then I went and visited her in Africa and bought a few more. Here are the bracelets:

The blue and white ones are those which my friend sent to me and are the colors of the Senegalese flag. When I went to Africa, I got the other three. I think I bought two of them and then was given one, or traded for a couple. I forget. My favorite part about these bracelets is how it is okay for them not to match!
I wore these bracelets for a looooong time and then took them off for some reason.
I saw my old roommate (the owner to the two black kitties from yesterday's post) over the weekend. She noticed that I am wearing the bracelets again. Then she asked if I had "the others" on too, in a conspiratory manner. "The others" are waist beads. She said how she always thought they were so sexy and she was jealous that she did not have a reason to wear them, but I did. She says she can not wear them because she has not been to Africa. Like I earned them, I suppose. Here they are:

The pink ones I got in Africa and have been broken and remade; I just redid the orange one with the same stretchy thread I have used to remake all of them so that I can take them off and put them on (rather than just leave them on all the time); and the wood one with the blue bead I made at my friend's house in Vermont after she returned from Africa. I like the wood one the best.
I have, in fact, put these waist beads back on too. Just a day before I saw my old roommate actually. They make me stand up a little straighter, I suppose because maybe they do make me feel a little sexy. All part of my attempts to stay happy and think of things outside of grad school. :-)
5 comments:
Hmmmm... can you make an extra large set of waist beads for me??? For some reason I don't think they will look as sexy on me though, Bummer.
Waist beads?! This is a great concept. Especially if it contributes to great posture. They look so pretty!
You know how they have those beed stores where you are encouraged to make bracelets and such at the store? I can just see their reaction when they ask what you are doing and you tell them you are making waist beeds. ;-)
Of course, they'd probably like that you were using so many beeds...
:-D
I've never heard of waist beads before. I guess you could call it a waistlet. :-)
Ron, I don't think men wear waist beads. Sorry. :-)
Aurora, we should all start spreading the trend!
Danielle, I can't imagine buying enough of those expensive glass beads to fit around my waist!
Spark, I love it! Waistlet.
Post a Comment