The other day I wrote a little bit about science blogging after hearing a woman talk about the trials and tribulations and how to do it intelligently to get your point across and not give "the other side" an advantage and...Well, there were a couple of things that made me think about this blog, those I read, and how people use their blogs.
Like to have a successful blog, you do not have to post everyday, just frequently. So why am I posting every day? I dunno.
She also said that a successful blog has a low "lunch factor". Lunch factor is, most literally, writing about what you had for lunch. She thinks a high lunch factor makes for a bad blog because people do not care. I think it is very blog-worthy if your lunch is yummy, and you want to pass on a recipe! Plus a blog's lunch factor is completely subjective. Sometimes it is nice to read about other people's day - you can offer your thoughts, ideas, and support about things people do or are going through, know there are others out there going through what you are going through, etc. That little added support from anonymous and not so anonymous sources is great.
I do see her point though. If I had a PB&J on white bread for lunch, I probably would not write about it here.
Last, anonymity. It is an intriguing thing to think about when you have a blog. If you have any type of site meter, you can click on it and find out if anyone is currently reading, how many pages and for how long people read, and even see a world map with pin points of the locations from where people are reading. So if you are trying to be as anonymous as possible, are you really all that anonymous?
I sent an email to a bunch of people when I started this blog. A few people read regularly (thanks!) and many people completely forgot about the email (they do not know what they are missing!). I also use my real email address on other people's blogs when I post and it is required (so now you all can internet stalk me - have fun!). I guess I figure if I am giving my two cents and reading their blog regularly, do I really care if they have my last name? I already know that with relatively little information, I can be found online. I tried this a bunch when I was doing the internet dating thing. Once you find me and my last name, a lot of science stuff comes up, something with classmates .com and my high school. The Habitat picture from college no longer comes up (sad, because it was cute).
So from whom am I trying to stay anonymous? My family and undergrads with whom I have worked could probably not find this. My roommate outed me, but my sister has yet to bring it up again. Although I avoid it unless extremely bored or procrastinating, I do try not to do any blogging at work. But I do, and do not clear the history. We also have separate profiles on the lab computer, so I am not sure if people can see my history. If you are reading and know me and I did not tell you about the blog, let me know! I would be curious to know how you found it...Probably me being careless. Oh, well!
8 comments:
What's interesting to me is that I go to great pains to not have my blog found by family and most friends. Why? Because if they were reading, I wouldn't be able to be completely honest and myself. In other words, I am more honest and myself with strangers than those closest to me. Somehow, that doesn't seem right...
(Although, those closest to me are in many ways very conservative, and they don't need to know just how NOT conservative I am....but still.)
I'm selective as to who I share my blog with. Sometimes I wish fewer people knew, and other times I'm glad that my 3-D peeps are reading, because it keeps me honest. I'll have to answer to them if I start being a jerk online.
In real life only 2 people know of my blog. I keep it for my own therapy and journaling. It's easier to be honest if you know you won't be judged or confronted in real life about something you just wanted to vent out to the web.
It's funny how putting something on the internet for the whole world to read can somehow be "selective." If someone wants to find you they will.
I would be shocked if people I know 'professionally'--profs, people I TA--found my blog. It's way too personal for that. I don't know that I am afraid of the confrontation, just that I have a professional face and a personal face, and the professional one is, well, a bit boring.
My sister reads my blog, but she's the only member of my family who does. I'm sure others could find it if they really wanted to, but frankly? They don't really care that much about me.
I think you know my stance on this from a previous blog post that you wrote. But I will say that the "lunch factor" is a funny way to describe the idea of blogging about boring things. I'm not sure what my equivalent of this would be. It is kind of like the weather factor, but as long as people keep it short, I don't mind a blog about the weather. If it involves photos, I'm all for it, of course.
I am definitely more interested in people's personal lives than in some discussion of worldly events.
Maybe it depends on what you are looking for in a blog.
As for checking your blog on work computers, I make a point of not checking my blog on lab computers. One person knows about it, but I'm trying to leave it that way.
Kalki, it is funny how it is easiest to be honest with strangers. I think it does help me (a little) to be more articulate by getting some things out here though. I totally understand the relative thing.
Spark, as long as there are a couple people keeping you honest, I'll keep reading. ;)
Ron, I definitely use it to vent too, although there are some things I do not post about because people I know know about the blog. Those things I just talk to people about in person.
Unsigned, exactly. It's like a diary, right? Never write down anything you would never want someone to find.
Aurora, I'm glad your personal face isn't boring!
Chick, the beauty of a blog is that regular readers to care and keep coming back to read and support!
Danielle, I remember you saying you have one closer friend at work who knows about the blog. I definitely would rather hear how people manage with daily trials and happy things than about more depressing news and politics! And photos always make a story more interesting. :)
Post a Comment